Mental Health Monday: ADHD

Hello everyone, and happy Monday! Today I’ve got another Mental Health Monday for you. Today, we’re focused on ADHD.



WHAT IS ADHD?


ADHD stands for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and is associated with trouble paying attention and focusing, excessive activity, sitting still, and acting without thinking. ADHD can start in early childhood and can go into adulthood. The exact cause of ADHD is unknown, but it is usually hereditary.

SYMPTOMS OF ADHD


Symptoms for ADHD include:

  • Hyperactivity
  • Short attention span
  • Fidgeting
  • Impulsivity
  • Forgetfulness
  • Trouble focusing
  • Mood swings
  • Easily bored

ADHD can also be asscociated with certain learning disabilities and depression.

TREATMENT


ADHD is not curable as of right now, but there are certain medications and therapies used to ease the symptoms, such as:

  • Talk therapy
  • Stimulants
  • Cognition-enhancing medication
  • Support groups


A NOTE FROM ME

I have struggled with ADHD my entire life, from when I was a little kid up to now, and I understand how difficult daily tasks can be, especially in school. I am shaky on a daily basis and I tense up very easily (writing is especially difficult because of this). All of my thoughts seem to be running at once, and I fidget constantly. Things are constantly falling and flying out of my hands, I’m in a constant state of movement and thinking and sitting still without doing anything is virtually impossible. ADHD also heavily impacts my ability to speak slowly and clearly, as well as explain when I’m upset or something is wrong. Believe me, I understand the struggle, and trust me when I say that you’re not alone. I started this blog primarily because of my struggle with ADHD. Because it’s easier for me to explain things in writing, I figured the best way for me to help people with what they’re dealing with is to write about it. I want to thank you all for your support for this blog, and as always, email me if you have any questions or anything you want to share.

Have a lovely day,

Hannah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy (And Unhealthy) Signs in a Relationship

5 Things To Do On a Rainy Day

How To Kick That Bad Mood in the Butt