Seasonal Depression

Hello, friends. Today' I'm tackling a topic that's not talked about a whole lot, but that I believe is important to acknowledge. Today, we discuss seasonal depression.



WHAT IS SEASONAL DEPRESSION?


Seasonal depression, also known as seasonal affective disorder, is a mood disorder involving depression that occurs at the same time every year. It is usually self-diagnosable, can be treated within months, and must be treated by a medical professional.

SYMPTOMS OF SEASONAL DEPRESSION

The symptoms of seasonal affective disorder include:

  • apathy
  • anxiety
  • general discontent
  • loss of interest in certain activities
  • mood swings
  • excessive sleepiness
  • insomnia
  • fatigue 
  • appetite change
  • irritability
  • social isolation
  • depression
  • lack of concentration

TREATMENT

Seasonal affective disorder can be treated a number of ways and within months. These ways include:

  • talk therapy
  • self care (physical exercise)
  • medication (anti-depressants and Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI)
  • light therapy

A NOTE FROM ME

Unfortunately, this is the disorder I suffer from the most. But unlike most who have SAD, I have feelings of depression, isolation, and anxiety, during the summertime. It's normal for people to dislike the heat, but I usually have feelings of strong anxiety, depression, and very low energy and motivation during the summer months. I also get very irritable and stay indoors for days at a time. Since I'm in college now, staying indoors isn't as common, but the irritability is still high. The symptoms usually start in early June and last until the high temperatures stop. When it got cold here in Denton for the first time, I actually cried out of happiness. That is how much I can't handle the summertime. I'm still looking for a solution for this, and if you also experience this disorder in the summer, or the winter, I am truly sorry. I understand exactly how you feel, and I know that it can feel hopeless and unbearable at times. Just know that I'm here for you if you ever need tips on how to feel better during your personal months of SAD.

Love, Hannah



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy (And Unhealthy) Signs in a Relationship

How To Kick That Bad Mood in the Butt

Toxic People: How to Spot Them and Get Out Of That Situation Right Freaking Now