5 Things To Do On a Rainy Day

So I'm currently on the East coast and if there's one thing I've seen more than anything else, it's rain. I was completely unaware of how much it rained here before I flew out here for the summer, and the first few days were...rough. If I can't go outside, my mood begins to drop rather quickly and sometimes it can last for days. I need sunshine to thrive. I'm literally a plant.

For the first week or so, it rained pretty much non-stop. I had to get creative, and fast. So I experimented with stuff I could do inside our itty bitty trailer without driving my other family members nuts. This is what I came up with. Here are five things you can do on a rainy day or a day where you just can't go outside.





1. Read a book (or an audiobook if you're that type of person)

The people who know me personally probably saw this coming. I love to read. I love it. I'm currently in the middle of so many books that I actually cannot remember them all. I'm a bookworm for sure, so naturally, the first thing I do on a rainy day is read a book. Since I can't fit more than a few books in the RV, I usually use my Kindle or my book/audiobook app that I pay for monthly. There are thousands of books and audiobooks available, all for $8.99 a month. It's the greatest thing ever. Anyway, I love books so much that they usually distract me from the crappy weather, but if I just can't get into it for whatever reason, I go for an audiobook. Audiobooks are really good at immersing me into the story and are usually what I shoot for if I'm feeling particularly down. So, long story short, reading or listening to a book is an easy way to beat the rainy day blues. Find a book on your shelf you've never read, or pick up an old favorite, pop your headphones in, and relax.

2. Workout DVD/online workout

Okay, I know at least half of you are laughing at your screens right now. "Hannah, the absolute last thing I want to do right now is work out. You have lost your mind."
Yeah, probably. But recently, I've found that working out is particularly good for people who experience seasonal depression. Exercise releases endorphins and serotonin and all of that good stuff that makes you feel happy, so it's good for your mind and body. You can easily find workouts for free on YouTube (I recommend Blogilates). If you're a yogi like me, I highly suggest Yoga With Adrienne. She has so many videos ranging from beginner to advanced, and her videos are easy to follow and fun.


3. Rent a movie you've always wanted to see

The only thing I love about the same level as books is movies. I have dedicated approximately an entire notebook to lists of movies that I've never seen, and I'm slowly making my way through them. This is a wonderful way to beat rainy day boredom and is relatively cheap or free if the movie is on Netflix or Hulu. Search "cult classics" or "best romance movies" or "kick-ass sci-fi movies" and find the one that sounds the most interesting. Or, rent that popular movie that you never got to see in theaters that everyone's been talking about ( I may or may not have just recently watched all of the Star Trek movies). If you find more than one movie you want to see, make a day out of it. Make some snacks using all of the crap in your kitchen and watch away.

4. Make playlists (or start listening to a new genre of music)

Music is a really interesting thing to me. When I was a kid, I exclusively listened to Christian rock and Taylor Swift (I am not joking), so I've been using a lot of my time as an adult branching out in my music tastes a bit. My mind was blown when I started listening to different genres. I'm obsessed with genres I thought I'd never be into. For example, my favorite genre right now is 70's rock (thank you, Almost Famous). So if you find yourself in the middle of a rainy day with nothing to do, try listening to some new music. Pick a genre and pick the most popular artists from said genre, and listen away. You may surprise yourself with what you like. Once you've done this, you can make playlists with your new found music and BOOM. You have new music to listen to.

5. Go closet shopping

This is another one of my favorite things to do not only on a rainy day but in general. Clothes are my love language. They are how I express myself to the world and when I'm wearing my favorite outfit, I feel unstoppable. Problem is, I get sick of clothes pretty easily. Because shopping is an expensive hobby, I try to shop in my own closet as much as I can. I grab my favorite new pieces and mix them with old ones to create a whole new look. This is something I highly recommend for a rainy day. It's fun, especially if you're with your roommates or friends, and keeps you from having to shop in real life. If you're up for it, organize a clothing swap with your friends. Have everyone bring the clothes they don't want anymore and shop in each other's stashes. This is especially good for college kids because all of our money usually needs to go to food and things that we actually need to live. So the next time it rains or snows or is too hot to live, call up your gal pals and have a clothing swap.

I hope you guys found these suggestions helpful!

Love,
 Hannah

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy (And Unhealthy) Signs in a Relationship

How To Kick That Bad Mood in the Butt

Toxic People: How to Spot Them and Get Out Of That Situation Right Freaking Now