Please Stop Using The Phrase "Too Much" To Describe People PLEASE

Hello, world. I'm back for what must be the 4th or 5th time. I actually have to set an alarm to write blog posts now because I kept forgetting. For three months straight.
Anyway, I have spent the last couple months doing several things. First, moving. My family moved into an RV about a month ago and it's been utter chaos since. Second, I ran out of ideas. I had no earthly idea what to post about. I sat in front of a notebook and thought about what to write until I was banging my head on the table repeatedly. Third, by the time I came up with ideas, it was finals time, and there was no way in heck I was going to blog on top of school, friends, boyfriend, and trying to figure out how to not fail my finals (Update: I didn't).

SO, here I am, finally, at the end of June, about to leave for Colorado (yay!), and chock full of post ideas. 
But there's a catch.
These posts are going to be more along the lines of organized rants about things I come across on a daily basis that I think are either really cool or really ridiculous. If there's a post about it, I feel that people need to know about it, whether it's good or bad. They may be ridiculously long, or a paragraph. There's no rhyme or reason to my posts.

Today, we're discussing something I've seen both on the Internet and real life: the use of the phrase "too much" to describe people.
It needs to end.
Like, yesterday.

To begin this post, here's a few of my favorite quotes about being "too much" of something.





I've been told I'm "too much" or "too" of a lot of things.
Too excited.
Too quiet.
Too shy.
Too this, too much of that.
And frankly, I'm tired of it.

First of all, you are not "too much" of anything. God made you the way He made you for a reason. You are absolutely wonderful the way you are. Case closed. 
Second, this is a really harmful phrase, if you really think about it. If someone is told they are too excited or enthusiastic, they may try and tone down their enthusiasm and excitement for life, something that makes them who they are. If someone is told they are too quiet or shy, they might try and push themselves to do things way out of their comfort zone. While this is actually a good thing to a certain extent, it can turn bad, and fast. People do need to grow out of their comfort zones eventually, but that is on their time, not anyone else's. If someone doesn't want to do something, leave them alone. If someone is told they are too sensitive, they may believe that they way they feel and perceive things is wrong. They will believe something is wrong with them. They may try to endure hardships alone and not seek out help or advice, fearing being called too sensitive. For all of the tender-hearted out there, hear this from me, please. Nothing is wrong with you. Nothing. You feel things differently. That is okay. Not everyone has your heart. Not everyone feels what or how you do. Not everyone will understand, and you can't make them. Live how you want. Feel things. Love people. Don't be afraid. Just be who you are. You are rare and important.

Bottom line: stop telling people they are too much of something. It's harmful and can deeply impact their view on who they are. 

Okay, that's all I have to say today so goodbye!

(P.S, I'll be writing every other weekday at 10 am, so be on the lookout :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Healthy (And Unhealthy) Signs in a Relationship

How To Kick That Bad Mood in the Butt

Toxic People: How to Spot Them and Get Out Of That Situation Right Freaking Now